Things Get Painted - BrokenToad Cheshire Cat

I'm unofficially collecting as many Alice related minis as I can find. When BrokenToad released their range of Wonderland transition busts, I had to get a set. These are some work on progress photos and rough finished pictures of the first I painted: The Cheshire Cat.

After a few failed experiments with PVC pipe for the base, I ended up stacking three 20mm MDF discs together and dancing them back to make the base.

I blocked in the main colours first, with the straight jacket and straps having colours I felt where reminiscent of the Cheshire Cat in Tim Burton's Alice films.

I worked on the face next, which was quite fun. The more I painted it, the more I got the impression of a madman locked away for murder. I also started to remember the Looking Glass Wars novels, where the cat was some kind of human/cat hybrid, used as an assassin. That memory started to leak over into how I viewed the piece.

I worked the jacket up next, and it ended up a lot darker than I first planned. Part of this was the part where the grey I originally had washed the model out too much, so I made it a darker purple. I did have some fun with some fine lines on the shoulders of the bust, trying to give the impression the jacket was old and worn.

Finally, I got the straps and metals done in one sitting. After giving the base a few coats of Reaper Pure Black, it was almost done! I dotted the eyes with some gloss, and was happy to call it completed.

I'm aiming to have some finished photos soon, so will post them when possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things Get Painted: Lessons Learned from Black and White Painting

Things Get Painted: GW Contrast Paints

Things Get Painted - Seishin, and some first impressions of Hexwraith Flame